Flood Protection Tips
- What is a floodplain?
- What causes it in St. Lucie County?
- What can I expect if a storm approaches?
- St. Lucie County Emergency Operations Center works with agencies
- Stations that service St. Lucie County
- St. Lucie County Emergency Management Plan
What is a floodplain?
A floodplain is flat or nearly flat land adjacent to a stream or river that experiences occasional or periodic flooding. Floodplains serve many useful purposes, and those that are preserved in their natural or nearly natural state provide a wide range of benefits. For example, floodplain areas hold, filter, convey and disperse floodwaters. Without the preservation of these natural floodplains, floodwaters would overwhelm developed areas.
What causes it in St. Lucie County?
Flooding in St. Lucie County is caused by heavy rainfall that occurs in short periods of time, as is common during summer thunderstorms. However, the greatest flood threats come from the excessive amounts of rainfall that accompany coastal storms, tropical storms and hurricanes. In the past decades Tropical Storms Gabrielle and Ernesto and Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne and Wilma have produced damaging floods in St. Lucie County.
What can I expect if a storm approaches?
Residents should be aware that St. Lucie County has an Emergency Management Plan (EMP) that includes a number of warning systems, outlined below, which provide citizens with up to the minute information on impending storms or flood threats. A Family Plan can be very helpful in a time of stress.
St. Lucie County Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
The St. Lucie County EOC works with the cities, the National Weather Service, and the National Hurricane Center to monitor flood and storm threats and advise the community accordingly.
- NOAA Weather Radio Frequency 162.400 MHz out of Belle Glade
- Radio Stations:
- The Talk of the Treasure Coast - WPSL-AM 1590 - (772) 340-1590
- Inspiration and Information - WIRA-AM 1400 - (772) 460-9356
- Newsradio - WJNX-AM 1290 - (561) 616-6744
- Indian River Community College - WQCS-FM 88.9 - (772) 465-8989
- Wave - WAVW-FM 92.7 - (561) 616-6600
- The Breeze - WGYL-FM 93.7 - (772) 567-0937
- WILD - WILD-FM 95.5 - (561) 616-6600
- The Gater - WKGR-FM 98.7 - (561) 689-9870
- The Coast - WHGL-FM 101.3 - (772)692-9454
- The Buzz - WPBZ-FM 103.1 - (561) 686-9505
- WQOL - WQOL-FM 103.7 - (772) 461-1055
- The Country K - WIRK-FM 107.9 - (561) 686-9505
- TV Channels
St. Lucie County Emergency Management Plan
When a storm or flood threatens to impact the county, the EOC is activated. The county has its own weather consultant who provides EOC staff with detailed and site specific information regarding storm conditions and flood threats. EOC workers issue updates, warnings and evacuation notices as needed over cable television and alert radios.